Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A few days in PA

After leaving my mom's house we headed to PA to see my grandparents. On the way, we stopped at a Diners, Drive ins and Dives place called "Corey's Catsup and Mustard" in Manchester, CT. It was very good. Good burgers, great fries and a few surprises (like only locally made soda and pretzel rolls called "wecks"). Definitely worth the stop.

My grandparents live in a beautiful area in the Pocono Mountains. I love it up there. (Admittedly, I'm probably a bit biased because the area holds such fond memories for me from through out my life from both my mom's and dad's sides of the family.) We had a wonderful time visiting and chatting with my grandparents. My dad came for the weekend so we got to visit with him too, as well as my Aunts and cousins that showed up for the day on Saturday. Sunday we went to church and then to my mom's cousin's restaurant for brunch, but otherwise it was a very low-key weekend.
view from the "hawks nest"


We left yesterday and started to head west. We stopped in Hershey, PA and did the Chocolate Town ride and let the kids do the Kisses factory worker thing. They loved it. We didn't stay too long because we needed to get on the road again, but it was a nice break.


Between Hershey and Wheeling, WV (where we spent the night) we hit........snow. SNOW. In late April. I was not happy about that at all. I like snow only under very limited conditions, which do not include having to drive in it. Luckily, we really only saw it at the higher elevations, the plows were out in full force, and it really wasn't sticking to the roads so it wasn't too terrible, but it still slowed things down. My kids wanted to go play in it, and weren't quite grasping that the warmest articles of clothing we have are the sweaters they were wearing. We made it safe in the end, and that's what matters.



We hit Krogers and got salad stuff for dinner, ate and watched TV, and crashed out for the night. We will leave here after the kids swim for a bit and continue west to IN. Not pushing the drive too hard right now. Trying to relax. 2.5 weeks on the road so far, 2 more to go.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment