Sunday, June 10, 2012

Agat Mango Festival

Hafa Adai!



Last night we went to the annual Mango Festival in Agat, which is the village just south of the Naval base. The location and set up for the event was great, and being able to see the sunset during the event was priceless.


We all had a great time walking around and meeting the merchants and seeing the displays. They had one display showcasing all the different mango varieties, another with about 6 different types of mango pickles, and another with the winners from each contest category: biggest, prettiest, and most bizarre. They even crowned a "Little miss mango" (the oldest girl has a goal in life now I think).


Trying Mango Jam
Of course, tried lots of food. The mango pie, which had a cheesecake consistency was my favorite, though the sweet and sour mango pickles were great as well. The mango jam was amazing, so we picked up a jar to share with Adam when he gets home.

I purposely skipped the McDonald's tent that was selling their "Mango Pineapple" smoothies. Though I'm sure they contributed financially to the event, it just didn't seem right given what was available from locals.


On our way out there was an area with representatives from local nurseries. I was naturally curious (I've been looking for a local nursery since I got here) and was fully drawn in when I saw the selection of orchids. They had many other plants beyond orchids, and my kids spent a good 5 minutes trying to convince me to buy a ghost chili pepper plant, but the orchids won the night. I ended up buying 2 plants and let the girls decide which. As a result they are both pink.
All in all, another great Guam night. I hope to start hitting the beaches again this week now that things are settling out.

1 comment:

  1. That sunset looks amazing. I've forgotten already how amazing the views are over there. Can't wait to get back.

    ReplyDelete