Monday, May 14, 2012

Diving in

Sunday morning we got up early, ate breakfast and loaded on the bus for the plane. I think the kids were a bit wary about boarding a plane after the 12 hour flight to Japan, but were ok once they found out it was only a 3 hour flight.

When we arrived on the island, there was a duty van waiting to take us back to the Navy Inn, where we had a "villa" (2 bedroom townhouse)  waiting for us to stay in. After living on couches, floors and hotels for the last month, this place seems huge. We thankfully have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer set. I've already done 2 loads of laundry and cooked a few meals.

Our original plan was to walk around here until our van arrived, but we've had to change our thinking on that. The base is highly spread out, and it looks like since there's a 2 month wait for housing we have to move off base into a furnished apartment until housing is available, or just avoid the 2 move thing and rent a house off base (will be meeting with a realtor this week about the second part). We looked at buying a cheap car, but those seem to be in short supply here and everyone who is selling has a note they need paid off. Also, once our van gets here I'll have 2 cars, and since Adam is going back to Hawaii and will be going out to sea quite a bit we don't see the point to having 2 cars for any length of time. So, tomorrow we will be renting a van for about a month.

Once we get a van, we'll be going out and exploring more so I can get pictures of the island!

The commissary here has not only standard American fare, but a huge (as in, more that I've ever seen in a standard store) Asian section, and a decent local selection as well. Our first night here I went over to get stuff to cook dinner, and found local green papayas and little calamansi. Calamansi are little green citrus fruits that have a very distinct and delicious flavor that will do well in many applications, but right now are used to mix in our Gin and Tonics. I've already used the papaya to make a fresh salsa. Came out well, just need to tweak the recipe a little bit.
Papayas and calamansi


Calamansi size relative to my thumb. Aren't they darling?!

Yesterday I went back to the commissary for a bit more food (and to explore) and found a few things from a local bakery: Spanish rolls, bread and guguria. Guguria are little sweet, crunchy bites made from flour, coconut milk and sugar. I'm hooked on them already.


Given all the neat things I've found so far, I can't WAIT to get out in town to find more local goods!

2 comments:

  1. Be careful getting hooked on stuff. The withdrawal can be a bear. By all means, enjoy the local food. It's usually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross! I am a bit worried about it, and have already looked up the cost of ordering guguria....let's just say it's something I won't be ordering too often when we get back. I'll enjoy them while I can though! :)!

      Delete